I Rarely engage about sports on blogs or social media (except to smack talk a little about my favorite teams) but if you watched the National Collegiate Championship, there are several important takeaways that need to be discussed.
1. Respect. I am a longtime Alabama fan but the two best football games I watched this season involved the Georgia Bulldogs. Congrats to them on an excellent season and 2 of the finest college football games I ever watched.
2. Readiness. Tua Tagovailoa, the 19 year, freshman who came in to win the game for Bama, demands the question would you be ready to come into the game (any game) at that age and lead your team? You never know when your name will be called. Always be ready.
3. Character. Not only was Tua ready to come into the game from a skills set, but his character was already visible in his love for his family and spiritual commitment.
4. Nick Saban decision. It may have been the gutsiest call I’ve ever seen from a coach in any sport. With nowhere to hide if it was a bad call. Be ready for tough decisions. They happen regularly.
5. Jalen Hurts. The most amazing display of Sportsmanship I’ve witnessed, after being pulled from the game, cheers the other QB on his success. I might have been crying on the sideline if it had happened to me.
You’ve got to watch and listen for #LifeHacks, even during national football games. Sometimes they are the best teaching moments.